This post quickly explains difference between WCF & WebServices.
- Web service supports HTTP via SOAP.
- WCF supports HTTP, TCP,MSMQ, UDP , Named Pipe and many custom formats SOAP, JSON, REST etc
- Web Service provides only transport level security.
- WCF supports Transport Level , Message Level & Data Level Security.
- Web Service can be hosted in IIS only
- WCF can be hosted on IIS, WAS- (Windows Activation Server) , Managed Windows Service. Also it can be self hosted ( windows form , console app )
- Any .net distributed applciation can be easily migrated to WCF with very fewer changes.
- Not easily possible in Web Service.
- In order to serialize a web service we need to explicitly specify serialization attributes using XML Serialization
- WCF incorporates Serialization by default for exposed methods using WCFSerialization.